LIMA, PERU (Urban) July 1-15, 2018
In July 2018, Jesuit Dallas Spanish students will travel to Lima and Cusco to experience Latin American culture in a language immersion program with El Colegio de la Inmaculada, a Jesuit high school in Lima, Peru. Students will live with host families from the school, attend classes, and tour the city, learning about its rich culture and heritage. After approximately 10 days in Lima, Jesuit Dallas students and faculty will travel via airplane to Cusco and then on to Machu Picchu by train and private bus. While in Lima students will have the opportunity to visit the Plaza de Armas, El Catedral, La Iglesia San Francisco and the catacombs, Miraflores and a museum or two based on schedules.
- The Jesuit Language department strives to fully engage students in the “Five C’s” of language learning: communication, cultures, connections, comparisons and communities. Students in this exchange program will experience the 5 C’s in new and exciting ways via cultural and linguistic immersion, putting put their knowledge of the Spanish language and way of life to the test!
- Students will experience the linguistic, historical and cultural connections between the Spanish language, historical and Catholic sites, and the daily life of Peruvians.
- Students will be provided experiences to help them in their formation of being open to growth, spiritual, physically fit, and having intellectual competence, all through experiencing the language, culture, history and beauty of Peru.
- Social Justice and Catholic Social Teaching are a focus of the Jesuit experience and will be a focus of the three (3) days that we are engaged in community service at the Casa Hogar de la Hermanas de la Caridad (Mother Teresa’s Home for the Dying). Students will work with the marginalized and abandoned who have no one else to care for them by cleaning, feeding, and helping with physical therapy.
- This program is available to students who are currently enrolled in or have taken Spanish at Jesuit. Heritage speakers studying another language may apply, but preference is given to students of Spanish.
- Students will be responsible for writing a blog about their experiences (in Spanish) as well as participating in reflections during the social justice portion of the trip.
- Program coordinator: Madeline Maggard – Spanish Instructor at Jesuit Dallas.
- Day 0 - Travel from DFW to MIA to LIM
Upon arrival at the airport, students will go home with their host families to settle in and rest.
- Day 1-10 - Students will attend classes at the Jesuit school there shadowing their host brothers and participating in sports. Students will meet daily with the Dallas Jesuit chaperones for reflection but will stay with their host families at night. The purpose of this portion of the trip is to “live” the language and culture. Excursions to see historical Lima will take place throughout the 10 days.
- Days 8-10 - Students will spend mornings volunteering at Mother Teresa’s charity in downtown Lima and afternoons in reflection on those experiences before going home with their host families.
- Days 11-14 - Students will travel by plane to Cusco and then on to the Sacred Valley stopping at archeological (Moray, Ollantaytambo) and cultural sites on the way to Machu Picchu.
- Cost per Student - $3200.00 USDto include the following:
- Roundtrip airfare from Dallas to Lima and Lima to Cusco.
- All transportation costs within Peru (trains, private bus)
- All meals in Cusco and Machu Picchu
- Hotel costs while in Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- All entrance fees to historical sites, museums, activities visited as part of the Jesuit group. Host families generally cover other entrance fees.
- All meals in Lima are covered by the host families.
- Additional Costs at student’s responsibility:
- Airport meals in DFW, LIM, CUS
- Snacks during the trip, as desired by your son
- Spending money for souvenirs, gifts ($150-200 recommended)