Quito Working Boys Home; Ecuador
Students will be challenged to live simply as they work alongside local families at the Working Boys Center and Center for Families in Quito, Ecuador. We will experience life in Ecuador from the point of view of the socioeconomically challenged in Quito, and will assist with programs that teach life skills to young men and women as they prepare to enter the workforce. Each day will include service, touring, spiritual reflection, and time to bond with the community at the Working Boys Center. In addition, students will visit historical sites in downtown Quito, travel to the Equator, hike to waterfalls in a tropical cloud forest and along the top of Quito’s highest mountain Pichincha, as well as share time with the indigenous people of the Andes Mountains in Otavalo.
Locations: Quito, Otavalo
Dates: June 29 – July 9, 2019
- Earn social justice field work hours
- Visit historical sites in downtown Quito, as well as meet with the indigenous people of the Andes Mountain in Otavalo
- Serve at The Working Boys Center in Quito by helping teach life skills to young men and women as they prepare to enter the workforce in Quito.
- Each day will include time for service, recreation, and spiritual reflection
Who Can Attend?
This trip is open to Jesuit students entering their junior or senior year. This experience is ideal for students who are:
- committed to the service, immersion, and reflection aspects of the experience
- ready to engage in direct service alongside the people of Quito
- team-oriented, flexible, and willing to try new things
- interested in working for social justice and willing to contribute to the host center’s formation and social assistance efforts