Substance Use Education
Jesuit is firmly committed to keeping our campus drug and alcohol free, but we acknowledge the forces which pull our students in other directions: households have their own rules and expectations, the Media portrays substance use as a right of passage, and adolescents are constantly searching for physical symbols of maturity and social capital. As students gain independence and parents look to offer healthy boundaries for their sons, the issues surrounding drugs and alcohol must be clearly addressed. Our goal here is to help facilitate that conversation at home by sharing the language, efforts, and programs students will experience while they are here at Jesuit Dallas.
Parent Night Resources
Electronic Cigarettes, Marijuana, and my Teenager (February 13, 2019)- Ryan Nodurft, LCSW, LCDC, presented to families on the importance of understanding the temptations and ways by which students engage in substances. This was a great way to learn about the devices, dangers, and risks associated with substance use and abuse. (click here to view the slides)
Ignatian Day Resources:
In 2018/2019, we asked all families to participate in a day of reflection on wellness. Representatives from various departments constructed a site to facilitate important conversations about social, emotional/mental, physical, and spiritual health.
- Substance Use - This compilation provides quick data and resources on how substances can improve and destroy aspects of the human body and human experience. .
- How Alcohol Affects Learning Memory
- The Psychology of Peer Pressure
- Legal Issues that come with substance use and abuse
- Strategies for Parents - being proactive is key. This provides an overview of recommendations for your son.
- Parent/Son Contracts - a great tool to help facilitate conversations and trust
- Is Drug Testing Right for our family?
- American Lung Association - Family toolkit, important insights, and more
Dangers of Teen Vaping - Updated information from Yale Medicine
- What to Know about vaping: THC, CBD, and Nicotine - Children's health provides great information about recent lung injuries associated with vaping