The Freshman Experience
The Freshman Experience - Fostering a Culture of Encounter
The freshman service experience provides Jesuit students the opportunity to:
- Develop new relationships and friendships with those experiencing poverty and homelessness, the refugee and stranger among us, the sick and elderly, and children with special needs.
- Gain knowledge of the six key areas of service and justice that characterize the Jesuit Dallas service experience.
- Build community with their fellow classmates through serving our neighbors.
All freshmen are required to complete the following in order to fulfill their first year service requirement:
- Freshman year service orientation (September Guidance)
- Six workshop seminars introducing the following social justice issues:
- Poverty & Homelessness (October Guidance)
- Educational Inequities (November Guidance)
- Environmental Justice (January Guidance)
- Elder Care & End of Life Issues (February Guidance)
- Immigration & Refugees (March Guidance)
- Caring for those with Special Needs (April Guidance)
- One weekend or weeknight service project offered by the Office of Service & Justice during the fall semester (sign up in the Ministry and Service Commons). OR the completion of an independent project with an agency from an approved list of Jesuit service partners.
- One weekend or weeknight service project offered by the Office of Service & Justice during the spring semester (sign up in the Ministry and Service Commons). OR the completion of an independent project with an agency from an approved list of Jesuit service partners.
- Attendance at one of two Freshman Service Days (Wednesday IDay in the Spring Semester), April 1 or April 8. Students are preassigned to a date and notified one month in advance.
Freshmen will not be required to track their service hours. Attendance at all events will be recorded by the Office of Service and Justice and student leaders from the Ignatian Service Corps. Parents will be provided with quarterly email updates detailing which requirements their son has completed.
Jesuit Sponsored Freshman Projects Include:
- Austin Street Center Game Nights
- Champions League
- Hillcrest House Dinners
- Manna for Others Lewisville
- Saint Joseph's Holiday Activity Days
- Sundaes on Sunday at St. Jude's
- Does my son need to sign up for more than one time slot for the semester?
- Can my son sign up for more than one time slot?
- What if none of the published dates work for my son’s schedule?
- Does my son need to create an account with X2Vol?
- How many hours of service does my son need his Freshman Year/during his time at Jesuit?